07 August 2023

My Week With Corolla

The Toyota dealer loaned me a '23 Corolla SE while they were working on The Beast.

It's chock full of nannies.

Lane assist is the most irritating.  It's like a stick shaker sort of deal that nudges you back into the center of the lane as Betty sees it.

There are many reasons to NOT be perfectly centered in the lane, and it gets old that Betty can't seem to perceive it.

One thing in particular was construction that had us crossing the centerline and Betty damn near yanking the wheel out my hand to stay on the right of it.

I am not a fan.

You can shut it off, but you have to shut it off every time you start the car.

Adaptive cruise control is kind of sort of neat once you figure out how it's supposed to work.

Nobody uses it as intended because the default settings hamstring the intent.

I read the manual.

People are out there using these features to thwart Darwin.

The infotainment system shows some signs of the future...  There's a nav function you can sign up for with just a small monthly fee...

But Sirius/XM works, the radio works.

The back up camera has laughably poor resolution.  The one I added to The Beast is SO much better, despite the much smaller screen on my car.

The AC takes forever to get going and waits for the "pay attention to traffic" screen to time out before firing up.  In Florida, this matters a lot.

Not surprisingly, there's a distinct lack of "go" from the small 4-banger.  Moxie is noticeably perkier.

The 27 mpg is nice, but it's matched by Moxie and The Beast isn't too far behind it.

2 comments:

  1. not a fan of the adaptive cruise...it's a pain in the ass...if i'm not listening to talk radio, i have a 32 gig thumb plugged in to my infotainment system with 2700+ songs on it...about the only use i get out of the system...i don't use most of it...they are making us dumber with all this push button crap...new tahoes are push/pull to park, go in drive, reverse...not sure what moron came up that crap...panzer guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Beast has bluetooth and I can play XM or near 100gb of music off the phone's storage. Or deal with the shitty interface with my ancient 80gb iPod. Harvey's newer iPod, though much smaller, has a happier interface.

      Moxie has XM native, but can't play songs off the phone via bluetooth. I might move the iPod over.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.