20 October 2023

Bone Domes

The quest for an M1 pot to take a picture of got me shopping for other issue helmets.

There's several ACH's on ebay for about $150 in various degrees of condition and completeness.

That's the issue NIJ IIIA DR 12.  More stylish and comfortable than the PASGT, but it offers no more protection.

The aftermarket is really confused about the NIJ ratings.

This maker says this one is IIIA, but the description conforms to what III would be.  III is DR 25.

This one is III, but the description is closer to IIIA.

Same price!  The one advertised as III is more expensive, normally, which makes me suspect that the descriptions are wrong...

For a bit more you can move up to NIJ IV and DR 35; but your ears are exposed.

Just the thing for hurricane prep!

8 comments:

  1. Atlanta Cutlery has a replica WWI Doughboy's helmet, as well as Hungarian and Finnish surplus helmets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Willard gave me a surplus Finnish helmet for Christmas a couple years back. It's an ex-German Stahlhelm 1916.
      https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2022/11/stahlhelm-m1916.html
      https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2022/11/head.html
      https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2022/11/i-think-i-found-where-21-pounds-went.html

      Delete
  2. Back when I had the money to go to gun shows, M1 helmets were fairly easy to find. I've got a replica German 1916 Stahlhelm, and a Swiss helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still looking for a Tin Pot, or want pics of said helmet? Could you also use pics of Civil Defense helmet as well from same vintage? WWII German navy tan desert hat?
    PM for info…
    Wandering Neurons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got a couple of leads. I take an ATF picture every year and we want to do a Nam theme this year.

      So I want a Nam era M1 helmet for the photo.

      That means I need physical possession of it for a short time to take the pic.

      Delete
    2. Found my tin pot. Has fiberglass liner, NSN 8470-00-935=6843. Teal lid has no markings. Loops on each side forcing strap. Bumpy green outer coating. How or where can I send pic for ID?

      Delete
    3. My last name at gmail is a good addy to send pics to.

      Delete
    4. Copy, stand by for incoming

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.