07 October 2023

Higher Energy Density

The local WaWa has ethanol-free gasoline.

I'm running an experiment with The Beast to see if there's any effect on miles per gallon.

Two tanks later and I can report that yes, there's been an effect.

I've gone from 16.5 mpg in mixed driving to 18.8 mpg.

That's noticeable.

The 10.4:1 compression seems to like the change from 87 to 89 octane too.

The Precious had a 10.7:1 ratio and "needed" 93 octane.  It ran fine on 87, but the programming would really back out the timing.

The '95 LT1 from The Biscayne SS was 10.5:1...  It, too, ran fine on 87, but really woke up with the (expensive) premium fuel and 93 octane.

I think I will continue this experiment.

1 comment:

  1. I did the same experiment with my 02 Taurus when ethanol gas was forced back in 06. A few tanks of 89 octane midgrade then a few tanks of ethanol free 90 octane at a time repeated for about 6 months. Overall i saw about a 10% increase in milage with ethanol free, but at about a 20% price premium.
    Differ

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.