06 October 2023

Gathering Dust

One of the reasons that the 6.8 gun sits in the corner gathering dust is when it dropped out of the mainstream, ammo got a lot more expensive.

It costs as much per round as .308 Win.

But it's important to remember that every AR maker, except Colt, had a 6.8 in their lineup at one time.

It was that close to making it and sticking.

It's a shame, because it's a damn fine shooting round.

I cannot bring myself to get a .300 Blackout because I am the kind of idiot who'd get my magazines confused and try to fire a .300 out a 5.56 bore.  Lots of ka-booms from that.

One place that 6.8 and 6.5 are way better than .300 is, even with a weak crimp, you're not going to accidentally misfeed the wrong round.

3 comments:

  1. Magpul doesn't make them anymore, but when "sand" color Pmags were available I bought a bunch and dyed them bright orange (160F water, add orange and yellow Rit clothing dye in 80/20 proportions) so I could visually differentiate 5.56 mags from 300BLK. Never did find a way to make them tactilely different, especially with gloves on. The best seemed to be "dots" of silicone caulk or using the caulk to hold "ribs" of 3/16" X 3/16" plastic on the sides with short pieces (like morse code dashes) on the front and back (heat and bend to fit before gluing with the caulk). I still lose sleep over the possibility of mixing them up, especially around people who "nein sprechen sie AR-15."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go more extreme, metal magazines for one round, plastic for the other.

      Delete
    2. We dyed a LOT of those Sand PMAGs.

      Magpul makes a tactilely different magazine for .300 Blackout. https://magpul.com/pmag-30-ar-300-b-gen-m3.html?mp_global_color=118

      But you can still get the wrong rounds in the wrong magazine and get them in the wrong gun.

      I don't think I'm meticulous enough.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.