18 October 2023

Non-Essential

YouTube, you do realize that if you block me from watching your vids because I'm opting out of seeing the same three ads on every video...

I will just stop going to your site.

Then where will you be?

It might even save me money when I cancel the subscribestar donations to a couple of creators.

I already know they don't see a dime from the ads, that's why many of us started running an adblocker in the first place.

A protest of sorts.

Considering how big Google is, they could definitely create an ad support system where an advertiser could pull their ads from content they don't wish to support rather than nuking the content completely.

They could also, definitely, start taking ads from advertisers who LIKE that content.

But there's political agendas involved here.

I will miss YouTube when it's gone.

Hell, I will miss Blogger when it's gone too.

I will live, though.

4 comments:

  1. I recently started using the Brave browser to have the window with YouTube playing in it to avoid the annoying ad blocker messages. The ad blocker is baked into Brave, so for the time being at least the music just plays without interruption...

    ReplyDelete
  2. and it works on Tubi for a couple ad free movies also...I'm not sure but I think it's every 24 hours... brave works for regular YouTube but it won't allow you to watch YouTube movies (when they have free movie views)...panzer guy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have hardened my heart to pleas to turn off ad blockers. Too many shite and annoying ads have exhausted my "they need to make some money " tolerance. FWIW after the first whiny popup Firefox with uBlock Origin runs YouTube just fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using a script blocker and YouTube Enhancer. Get the "adblockers are not allowed" popup a couple times with a countdown clock for a couple of videos then it runs like before for the rest of the day.

      My issue with the ads isn't that they don't deserve to be paid.

      It's the wheat:chaff ratio they're running.
      It's the constant repetition of the same ad.
      It's the advertisers driving off content creators and dictating content.

      Delete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.