20 October 2023

Old Skinny And Fast

 Old NFO touches on the Government Model.

You don't have to accept slow and fat.


.38 Super works just fine.

If you want fat, but don't want slow, you can always get a 10mm ACP version.  You can.  I can't.  Those things are NOT in the budget at La Casa de McThag.

I reiterate something I've long said about the "1911" and that there's nothing wrong with the M1911.

There's lots wrong with the clones of the M1911 that have tarnished the reputation of this revolutionary design.

I've talked about that too.

Many clones are trying to make the design something it was not intended to be.

The M1911 is a combat pistol, it's a sidearm.

It is not a target pistol.

But too many clones are making target pistols and that compromises the design.

Then people get surprised when it doesn't run right.

Yet they'd understand that while both things are cars, you don't use a Formula 1 car for a road trip and you don't enter a minivan at Monaco.

Gun writers have failed to educate their readers expectations.

5 comments:

  1. The 1911 not a target pistol? Bullseye shooting has been around longer than you and I! Yes, there are things done to Bullseye pistols that make them unsuitable for carrying, but Service Pistol guns are fine for self defense.
    JFM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a pistol built for IPSC competition way back in the fading years of the last millenium.

    I went with a custom build in .38 Super Comp on an STI 2011 double-stack frame, mainly for the magazine capacity - 20 rounds standard capacity, 29 or 30 in the IPSC permitted long magazines.

    It's a tack-driver, has fired MANY thousands of rounds, and yet I don't recall a single malfunction that wasn't caused by shoddy ammunition.

    Of course, it cost cubic dollars, is in no way suitable as a combat pistol, and as a dataset of one is not valid as representative of the breed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Colt 1911 Government in 9 mm that is my target pistol. I regret that I did not get a 38 Super.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My three 1911-ish handguns are all definitely more on the combat side than on the race gun side. They're also slow... mostly .45 ACP, 9x19 or 9mm Largo. 900-ish feet per second. They do what I expect of them, and surprisingly even the very worn looking Ballester Molina (not quite a 1911 but similar actually more closely related to the also 1911-like but not quite Stars) shoots decently after receiving a hand fitted match barrel and some slide tightening. The others are a WWII built Remington Rand, a Springfield GI (which tries to look like a GI 1911A1 but has minor failings in that), and a couple of Star Modelo B's (the aforementioned 9x19 and 9mm Largo). The 9mm Largo is similar in dimensions to .38 Super but is NOT safe to load to that spec. Despite a 4mm longer case it actually is almost always loaded less than even 9mm +P. I never got into competitive shooting so I never caught the .38 Super bug.
    -swj

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you make the 1911 to spec as JMB designed, then it works fine. The problem is modern gun makers can't seem to do that. -Jking

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.