25 June 2023

Looking It Up

My insanely brief "career" at Electric Boat...

I looked up the dates for the boats and was surprised to see that they'd actually made #3.

USS Jimmy Carter.

He did wear the dolphins, so I guess it's fair.  Bad luck to be named after a living person, though...

But the dates.

When there were going to be 29 Seawolfs the production schedule had 3-year intervals.

SSN-23 should have been laid down 1995, launched 2000 and commissioned 2001; not 1998, 2004 and 2005.

SSN-24 should have been laid down 1998 and I would have been in the yard and gone on sea trials documenting where parts had actually been installed instead of just where they'd planned on them being.  The job should have run until 2004...  Hey!  That's exactly when Jimmah! got made.

Going from three years to six upended a lot of lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.