23 June 2023

No Sir I Don't Like It

Despite enjoying "Quartered Safe Out Here" I am not a Flashman fan.

I have attempted "Flashman's Lady" and "Flashman and the Redskins" and have found myself, both times, screaming, "GET THE FUCK ON WITH IT!"

These books are 200 pages crammed into over 500, each.

So I never finished "Flashman and the Fine Points of Cricket" or "Flashman Has Sex with A New Orleans Whore." because I kept wondering when The Lady or Redskins would actually fucking appear.

That he wrote 12 books to this pattern and people enjoyed them baffles me.

2 comments:

  1. You might enjoy his "McAuslan" stories, which were based on Fraser's time in the Gordon Highlanders after WWII. McAuslan himself is sort of a real-life Baldrick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Flashman books, at least the earlier ones are written in a 19th century style that can be heavy going. The Scottish Regiment stories, the non-fiction and I think Mr. American are written more concisely.
    I tried reading something by Saki (H.H. Munro) who was a pre WWI bestseller and an early war casualty and found it almost unreadable.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: You can't. Log into your Google account.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.