02 February 2018

Breaking Habits

There's a list of pup things I normally do in the evening that don't need doing now.

14 years of habit is going to be hard to break.

Tomorrow when I get up I will have to not reflexively look for the dog and steer him to the door.  The door is still there, but there's no dog to steer.

I've done this before.

My first dog was a year older than I was.  I had him, literally, my whole life until I was 15 and then Dad had him put down.

It took me twenty years to be talked into having a second dog, because I took Rudyard's words to heart.

If I wait another 20 to get another dog, I'm going to be too old to finish the trail with it.

I think I am fine with that.  I love too fully and too completely.

2 comments:

  1. Dogs remind one of what they could be without tarnishing the image of what one is. The joyous love a dog brings into your life is unmatched.
    Your heart is breaking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear this. Please accept my condolences. I'm not a "pet person" myself, but I know how hard it can be when you have to let them go.

    ReplyDelete

You are a guest here when you comment. This is my soapbox, not yours. Be polite. Inappropriate comments will be deleted without mention. Amnesty period is expired.

Do not go off on a tangent, stay with the topic of the post. If I can't tell what your point is in the first couple of sentences I'm flushing it.

If you're trying to comment anonymously: Sign your work. Try this link for an explanation: https://mcthag.blogspot.com/2023/04/lots-of-new-readers.html

Anonymous comments must pass a higher bar than others. Repeat offenders must pass an even higher bar.

If you can't comprehend this, don't comment; because I'm going to moderate and mock you for wasting your time.